Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning: Dizziness. Weakness. Headache. Nausea or vomiting. Difficulty breathing. Confusion. Blurred vision. Loss of consciousness.

Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that can be released during the combustion process. It has no odor or color, which makes it all the more important to know the warning signs. While your propane system can release carbon monoxide during incomplete combustion, it is probably best known for being produced from vehicles.

Prevention

These steps are vital and can help you avoid a carbon monoxide leak in your home.

  • Make sure you have a CO detector installed in your home.
  • Have an annual safety check performed by your qualified DLE technician.
  • Follow the safety guides for your appliances. For example, never use portable outdoor heaters, grills, or generators in enclosed spaces.
  • Only use your appliances for their intended use, i.e., never use your stove or oven for heating your home.
  • If repairs are needed on your propane system, contact DLE and do not attempt repairs on your own. Incorrect vent repairs, including but not limited to using tape or gum, can trap CO in your home.
  • Make sure you ensure proper ventilation when using a vehicle. Never run it in an enclosed area, like a garage. Even if the door is only partially closed, it can be enough to trap CO and make it into a dangerous situation.

Signs:

Familiarize yourself with these signs of carbon monoxide poisoning to help catch it quickly in the even of exposure.

  • Symptoms are like the flu- headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.
  • Blurred vision, loss of consciousness, and/or difficulty breathing.
  • Infants, the elderly, and/or those with chronic heart disease, anemia, or breathing problems are the most susceptible to symptoms and complications due to exposure.
  • Acute poisoning can result in permanent damage to parts of your body that require a lot of oxygen. For example, this includes your heart or brain.

What to do:

If you notice these signs of carbon monoxide poisoning or spell gas, it’s important to take action immediately.

  • If you suspect carbon monoxide is present, go outside immediately and call emergency services.
  • Don’t use any incendiary things, this includes but is not limited to lighters, burners, and turning on light switches.
  • Maintain a safe distance from the residence until emergency services have confirmed it is safe to return.

 

Printable Version of our DLE Winter 2023 Propane Press